Thursday, March 5, 2009

Beyond Reason


I found these words from Joyce Meyer in her bible, and I wanted to share them because I think they tie directly into what I had shared in my previous post about always trying to seek understanding of things.  Check it out:

"In Mark 8:14-17, as in other Bible passages, we see that Jesus was able to discern the reasoning in the hearts of His disciples, who frequently did not act wisely.  They needed revelation, not reasoning.

In verse 17 Jesus said "Why are you reasoning...Do you not yet discern or understand?" That is what I used to do. I used to have a lot of problems with reasoning.  I was always trying to figure things out. Then one day the Lord said something interesting to me: "As long as you continue to reason, you will never have discernment."

Discernment starts in the heart and enlightens the mind. As long as my mind was so busy reasoning, God could not get through to me.

Reasoning is such a huge problem because reasoning is not faith.  Reasoning belongs to the mind of the flesh and does not produce good fruit.  When we reason to a point of being confused we need to recognize that we have gone too far.  At that point we need to pray for discernment and wait on God to reveal to us what we need to know.

You cannot have peace of mind and heart if you reason without God's truth to enlighten you.  If you lack peace in your life, it may be that you are trying to figure out too many things.  Stop asking, "Why, God, why?"  Just say, "Lord, You know, and I need to be satisfied with that.  When YOu are ready to show me, do so. Until then, with Your help, I am going to enjoy my life, trusting that You are in charge and that You will take care of everything that concerns me."

No comments: